Wednesday 7 November 2012

Review: The Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in 07!

Shimmer, shimmer, shimma! That's all I think of when it comes to eyeshadows.

I'm one of those girls who has no issues with completely metallic and shimmery shades on my eyes. I think it's so flattering on me and asian ladies, it gives dimension and light on our small lids!

Here's one of the shimmer cube quads I picked up last year in shade 07. The colors are very wearable and actually very fitting for fall!

Continue below for the review and swatches!

The Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in palette 07





Packaging!

These little shimmery cubes are as they're called, four cubes in individual plastic containers inside a main hard plastic box packaging. I think the best part about the packaging is how the cubes are individual and not one big chunk, they would be more prone to breaking if they were baked in one big clump.

The cons of the packaging is that the main plastic box only closes, it doesn't have a snap shut mechanism or anything that stops the top half from coming off. That's the main downside but otherwise I think the packaging is quite okay for these four chunky shimmer cubes!
 
The Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in palette 07

 Product!

 These were a very tantalizing product. To begin describing them, they are as stated 'shimmer cubes'. The texture of these cubes overall are slightly gritty, especially the silver due to shimmer but the other three shades are very smooth and fairly pigmented.

On their own, with one swatch these shades are like some mineral shadows and need more packing on and layers to build up to the color you expect them to be. I haven't tried these wet but I think using a damp brush would make them very shiny and metallic!

These have been swatched in layers dry with my fingers. In terms of application, there is some fallout so, have a tissue below your eyes to catch any. 

The shades are as follows: All these shades have a silver shimmery running through them!
  • Pink argyle (a medium muted rose)
  • Ruby (a dark taupe-purple)
  • Rich bronze (a medium golden brown)
  • Dusted Silver (a frosty silver) 
Swatches :The Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in palette 07

Swatches: The Body Shop Shimmer Cubes in palette 07 (top to bottom: dusted silver, rich bronze, ruby, argyle pink)
Paid: $36.90 SGD ($30 USD)

Repurchase: Nope, unless they were shades I'd use for the rest of my life, it's that I'm getting so much product it's a waste that I probably won't finish these!

Recommend: If these easy to wear colors and the shimmery factor are up your alley, I'd say consider getting these because in terms of value for product in Singapore, this is quite a lot of product. However I think you can find the same colors in better packaging!

Bottom line: Quite shimmer packed, these colors are easy to wear and come in a huge amount! You probably can find the same colors in better packaging. If you are a collector, this would be nice but I wouldn't recommend this for someone who doesn't use eyeshadow often!
  

Do you prefer shimmery or matte shadows? 
Tried shimmer cubes before? 
Want them? let me know!


Feel free to comment! Thanks!


15 comments:

  1. I love a bit of shimmer too...lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like metallics and shimmers too. I should stop though. Am in my mid thirties.

    Good review. I'm going to pass on these colors.

    Girlie Blog Seattle | Mom Fitness Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think you should completely stop! They add such a pop to the eyes! They aren't that special, just a novelty!

      Delete
  3. The shades are nice! I think it would be better if Body Shop makes these shimmer cubes a bit smaller at a cheaper price.

    Liz
    chewylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I'd be far more willing to get them if they were smaller and I'm sure others would too!

      Delete
  4. The shades themselves are gorgeous, but they're quite pricey!
    Thanks for sharing.~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, good for the amount but I doubt anyone will finish them!

      Delete
  5. I've seen this in Hollyannes video and they look quite good but I'm just not sold with the price~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are gorgeous on, but I yep...the price isnt so worth for the common colors.

      Delete
  6. Really interesting review! i like it to much your blog! I´m following you...

    Sakuranko Blog
    My Facebook Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, $30USD seems like a lot! The Body Shop products can be quite overpriced everywhere except the US. These are pretty colours but I agree that it's not like a must-have eyeshadow product. You do seem to be getting heaps of product - I don't know if I'd ever finish it :p But I'm completely with you in terms of enjoying metallic/shimmery shades for eye makeup - I much prefer them to matte shades :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they are very overpriced but when broken down in terms of per shadow per gram it's affordable in singapore. However it's not a must have with the normal shades! Ahhh...shimmers for me all the way xp

      Delete
  8. It's been more than a year since you wrote this post, but it's one of the reviews I liles and found informative :)
    Just got it at a sale in msia for about RM40 (less than 20 sgd) (mfg sep 2013)
    For a newbie into the makeup world, I guess it's quite a steal for me to get huge chunks of these pretty shimmery colours that I like and use a lot of :) I use it alongside topshop's Game on cream eyeshadow, which I had regretted buying previously because they're not that well pigmented. Turns out the four shades in each palette correspond perfectly, so now I have exactly what I need in the long term :)

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A LINK TO YOUR BLOG!

I DO NOT FOLLOW FOR A FOLLOW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...