Wednesday 4 December 2013

Rave Review: Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation in 53 Light Beige!

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum! I'm sure by now almost all or most of you ladies have heard or came across Bourjois famous foundation? They are very well known for their Healthy Mix and Healthy Mix Serum foundations. They are suppose to be dupes in terms of quality and consistency of Chanel's Vita Lumiere foundation.

Bourjois is a sister brand of Chanel, hence packaging, scents, colors and so on tend to be similar like how their blush is packaged in both brands as well as the products being rosey scented! Check out my review of the (Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation here!) Check out my overview of(their blushes here!)

Continue below for the review!
Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation in 53 Light Beige
Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation in 53 Light Beige
 Packaging! 

In a slim plastic tube, you might be fooled into thinking that it was a glass bottle because of how it looks. I think there's quite a bit of text on the labeling but it's not too much to make it heard to read. There's a good pump on top as like all of their foundations, I really enjoy how the packaging is so professional looking without being cumbersome, heavy or excessive.

In Singapore, almost every foundation by Maybelline, Revlon, L'oreal and other Asian brands like Kate, Silky Girl, Missha all come with a pump. I almost didn't know that foundations didn't all come with pumps until I saw girls on youtube from the US who showed Revlon colorstay! I think a pump is very useful, hygienic and definitely a huge plus in terms of packaging. I particularly like how the bottle is so slim!

Purchased at Bourjois counter in phnom penh, Cambodia while visiting my classmate! They used US dollars as the main currency there. I used to live there for 5 years!
Product!

 Pretty much very similar to the Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation, I've only heard some people point out slight differences. Some say this one has a thinner texture and blends out sheerer but I personally feel almost no difference in the texture and coverage between the normal healthy mix and this serum version. The only visible difference is the shade (see below for swatch comparison), this serum version is a bit more yellow toned and lighter compared to the regular formula. I remember swatching the Healthy mix in shade 52 and then realizing that the Serum in 53 was a better match for it as it ran lighter and more yellow.

The coverage starts off as light with one layer but is definitely buildable on areas like the cheeks until medium coverage. This foundation is very thin consistency and hence works very nicely around the nose and right up under the eyes. 

If you have relatively good skin, some redness, freckles, slight blemishes, slight darkness, this foundation would even out and neutralize very well. It works best on skin that's already relatively in good condition. Not saying that it would've be lovely if you've got some spots, just add on a concealer after this foundation!

This would be good for both oilier and drier skin types as it is dry to touch but has dewy looking finish. For all those with oilier skin I would suggesting doing what I always do which is setting my foundation with a pressed powder (I go for foundation powder).

Bare face.  I tend to suffer from some darkness under my eyes and redness on my inner cheeks and under my nose. My skin normally has a good condition.

After wearing one layer of  Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation in 53 Light Beige!
Before and after! Wearing  Bourjois healthy mix serum foundation in 53 Light Beige!

Although the foundation looks quite beige in the photo, no worries as it does not oxidize at all on oilier skin. My skin is combination and get can super oily in the T-zone.

Comparison swatch: L'oreal Lucent Magique in N2 (my review here), Bourjois Healthy Mix 53 (my review here), Bourjois Healthy mix serum 53, The Face Shop Power Perfection BB cream in 02 Natural Beige (my review here)
 Comparison!

Of all the foundations in this swatch line up, Bourjois Healthy mix in 53 as well as 52 (not shown) are perfect matches for my complexion. L'oreal N2 is great, however a tad light and very brightening, Bourjois Healthy mix serum is slightly more beige but not noticible at all worn.

The most neutral is The Face Shop Power Perfection BB cream, it has the heaviest coverage of these four, follow by L'oreal and then Bourjois. I will always powder on top regardless of my foundation choice. However The Face shop and L'oreal are a must because they are a bit lighter and too bright on my face alone for my liking.
 L'oreal Lucent Magique in N2 (my review here), Bourjois Healthy Mix 53 (my review here), Bourjois Healthy mix serum 53, The Face Shop Power Perfection BB cream in 02 Natural Beige (my review here)
Paid: $22.70 USD or about $28.50 SGD (drugstore foundations here are $20-30 SGD)

Recommend: Yes! Great color matching (if you have a match), so easy to blend out, buildable coverage, natural finish and very light on the face.

Repurchase: Yes! I totally would buy this again if I finish, but I really want to buy different foundations from them to try!

Bottom line: An absolutely joy of a foundation to have in your stash, feels like skin, looks so natural, easy to use and lasts very well set with a powder. If you can find a match within the 4 or 5 shades do pick this up!

Have you tried Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum?
Do you layer your foundation?
Let me know!

Feel free to comment! Thank you!

22 comments:

  1. true.i like foundation used a type like pump..hygienic and we can control how much foundation we want use.btw this is my first time with this brand.but look familiar.shud try one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumps are always better for hygiene and dispensing product! ^^

      Delete
  2. this is my fave drugstore foundation so far. very good quality and flawless finish. I have to disagree though with people claiming it as a dupe for chanel vitalumiere foundation because I have tried both and I love love bourjois one better than the chanel one. the chanel one is horrible,nothing compare to bourjois one!
    but Bourjois owns chanel make up so it makes sense that their products might actually be the same only packaged and scented differently ( it happens a lot with L'oreal for example. ).
    the bourjois baked blushes and the chanel baked blushes are in my opinion 98% the same product besides of the packaging and the scent :$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pleasant surprise to hear Pam! I'm glad I've got my hands on some of the 'better' foundations without realizing! I would love a blush from chanel though...it's just so luxe looking but I must remind myself not to get things that are like 99% same!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more. This is a fantastic foundation! I didn't know it's a sister brand of Chanel - that's pretty neat. Great review. :)

    www.blackandgrey.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! And that's awesome that quality is usually so high through their products and packaging even as a drugstore brand.

      Delete
  4. A week ago I was searching for reviews on Bourjois healthy mix foundation and wondering if it would be worth buying or not that is how I found your blog your skintone is almost similar to mine and you raved about it and said you would definitely repurchase it I made the final decision after your review and I ordered it through ASOS.Now you are recommending this one too it means I should start saving money for another foundation purchase :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcomed! Their foundations are really very good and will work for all skin types!

      Delete
  5. No pump for me is... Eww. I love this foundation I just bought a new one from bourjois, happy light... It's glass I'm hoping its also great! Super fab review btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've heard mixed reviews on the happy light but for now I'm dying to try any other foundation from them just because they are so awesome!

      Delete
  6. first of all, you have beautiful skin. no need for foundation!! ;)
    i have the original healthy mix in 51 and it is nearly a perfect match for me. i will definitely try this sister version next time. i didn't know chanel and bourjois sister brands! i just thought they shared the same manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you dear! It's not so fabulous all the time! I'm glad that it was a perfect match, there's something about their coloring that blends so well into both asian and Caucasian skin tones that match the line!

      Delete
  7. I've been wondering if I should buy this or not! Maybe I should pass and go for the concealer instead so that I can get lots of coverage XD
    Thanks for the review~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe the concealer does have more coverage but I'm not too sure! Definitely go for an asian brand bb cream if you want more coverage, this is amazing but not high coverage!

      Delete
  8. oooh, makes me want to try this too but too bad we dont have bourjoir locally ~>_>~ great review btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to try this foundation...definitely will get it soon..
    nice review dear

    my recent one :http://www.vanitynoapologies.com/2013/12/colorbar-glide-eye-pencils-reviews-swatches-flirty-turq-prunella-coal-mine.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very good quality foundation and so natural feeling! Do try it!

      Delete
  10. I used to own quite a few Bourjois products during my youngers days, but not anymore since I hardly wear any make-up. But I do like Bourjois!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried any Bourjois foundations despite frequently hearing about them here and there. This sounds like a really nice foundation and it makes your skin look like skin! Looks so good on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I highly recommend this foundation too!! The shade range is a little limited, though I was lucky enough to find a good match for my skin tone. Btw your skin is flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never really dabbled in drugstore foundations beyond Bourjois but I do love their foundations, I used to love their healthy mix serum! We seem to have pretty much the same skin tone, nice to know for the suture c;
    Your skin is lovely even without foundation though hun! Lucky!

    Chloé⎪ status.chlo

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A LINK TO YOUR BLOG!

I DO NOT FOLLOW FOR A FOLLOW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...